U16's‎ > ‎U16 Posts‎ > ‎

19th Oct - Thame vs U13s, County Cup

posted 24 Oct 2014, 03:58 by Dave Tyrrell   [ updated 24 Oct 2014, 03:58 by Graham Keeble ]

A sunny but windy Sunday afternoon saw the Blues travel to Thame for the next round of the County Cup.

Thame have excellent facilities and, for the second week in a row, parents did not have to go far for all sorts of refreshments.

All Bure Park players were available apart from Sam, so Zac deputised in goal.

The first half kicked off in poor conditions. Whilst the pitch was in fairly good shape, the wind was blowing quite strongly into the Blue faces.

Despite this, Bure Park started the stronger of the two teams, with the ball seemingly refusing to leave the Thame half for the first 5 minutes. Despite the early pressure though,  no clear chances presented themselves.

After ten minutes the first half-opportunity arose. A lovely passage of play saw Lochlan play in Luke, who crossed a ball in to Aiden who headed just wide.

Thame then started to come more into the game, and perhaps against the run of previous play they scored. A cross in from the right was stolen almost from the keepers hands and fired in. One nil.

Seven minutes later and the score was doubled. Thame seemed to be winning more of the 50/50 balls and after a battle in the penalty area the ball fell to a Thame player who scored. Two nil.

The conditions were clearly not helping Bure. Zac was struggling to reach the center circle with his kicks from hand, whilst the Thame keeper was easily reaching our half. The wind was so strong that you just felt that if Bure Park could keep the score to two nil at half time, then Thame would have the exact same problem to deal with in the second half, and the two goal deficit could easily be clawed back.

Seven minutes later and the ball was in the Bure Park net again from a Thame header, but this was ruled offside, and the goal deficit was kept to two at half time.

The second half started brightly for Bure Park, and playing with the wind instead of against it was definitely easier. Zac was back out on pitch and Calum had taken the keeper’s gloves.

Bure Park again started well, full of confidence that the two goal deficit could be overturned. Seven minutes into the half and Zac had a good opportunity, heading goalwards from a corner, but the ball hit the bar.

Bure Park kept pushing forwards, and a few minutes later they had a good shout for a penalty when Owen was brought down in the Thame penalty box, as he bore down on goal.

A moment later however and the referee awarded a controversial penalty at the other end. Bure Park were caught in possession in their back lines, and as tackles were made in the penalty area the ref awarded Thame a penalty, which they duly converted. This felt pretty harsh on the Blues who were now three nil down.

Despite the perceived injustice, Bure Park kept battling, and you felt a goal would change everything. Zac had a couple of good chances, but the Gods of football had decided the outcome would not be in the Blues favour today.

As the final whistle went, you realised the wind had almost died down to nothing - our perceived second half advantage had failed to materialise after all.

Credit to Thame who are clearly a good side, and made the most of their first half weather advantage.