U16's‎ > ‎U16 Posts‎ > ‎

Bure Park U13s vs Ducklington

posted 8 Feb 2015, 11:29 by Dave Tyrrell   [ updated 8 Feb 2015, 11:29 by Graham Keeble ]
A sunny winters day saw Bure Park host Ducklington, the unbeaten leaders of the 'A' league, on the larger pitch at Langford.

A frustrating and stop-start match will have to go down as one of those "what if" results. The score reads 5 - 2 to Ducklington, but it doesn't really tell the story of the game, which was a classic game of two halves.

The first half was mostly dominated by Bure Park, and as early as the first minute they should have scored, but the final shot was blasted wide of the post. But five minutes later and this didn't seem to matter after Bure took the lead after some good work from OJ to resist the attention of two defenders, and then crossed to Aiden who slotted home comfortably. One nil to Bure Park, and it was mostly one way traffic.

Ducklington were giving some occasional indications of their attacking potential however, and in the tenth minute they burst through. The linesman's flag was raised for offside, and Bure Park stopped. This is never a good idea, since the referee is entitled to overrule his assistants. Ducklington carried on and shot and scored, and the referee went over to discuss events with his assistant. In the event, the referee blew for offside, but it was a reminder that you must "play to the whistle".

Despite this scare, Bure Park remained in control and in the 19th minute Zac let fly with a volley that landed just wide of the right post, and shortly afterwards a Calum free kick narrowly flew wide of the left post.

However, for all Bure Park's attempts on goal, they only had one to show for it, and on 30 minutes Ducklington equalised. A moment of confusion followed as the ref then blew early for half-time, being new to the Witney league and being unaware of the 35 minute half lengths. It was a shame he brought everyone back on to the pitch to play the final four minutes, as in that time Ducklington scored from a free-kick.

This was a bitter pill to swallow, as the Blues had dominated for so much of the half, had scored early, but found themselves a goal behind.

A feature of the half had been both teams trying to come to terms with a very strict referee they had not seen before, and Bure Park had handled him the better of the two teams. Often in football you do come across situations where you have to manage the referee as well as manage your game, and this referee was not accepting any comments from anyone about anything, which is fair enough.

Ducklington started the second half in a much more determined manner, and clearly were not going to lose their unbeaten record lightly. Their dead-ball set plays were of a high standard, with corners and free-kicks causing problems. Oscar headed off the line from one free-kick, and the defense were generally quite busy.

A series of throw-ins from Lochlan had gained territory down the right-wing, when quick thinking Calum took a throw himself before Ducklington could re-group, which released OJ to run down the line. He crossed into Zac who finished to rapturous applause from the home supporters and it was two all.

It was nip and tuck, but the passing game with which Bure Park had tormented Ducklington in the first half seemed to have deserted them. Ducklington however then scored from another corner, and in the final ten minutes as Bure Park pushed men forward, they sneaked a further two goals.

Frustration was starting to show, and where we had been disciplined in the first half, it was our turn to raise the ire of the ref.

However, despite the result, the lads can be proud of running Ducklington so close, and they will know that on another day the result could have been much different.