U16's‎ > ‎U16 Posts‎ > ‎

Launton Athletic vs U13s KO Cup 16th Nov 2014

posted 16 Nov 2014, 11:40 by Dave Tyrrell   [ updated 17 Nov 2014, 00:54 by Graham Keeble ]
Back to "league cup" action today, as the Blues visited Launton Athletic in the second round of the Kick Off Cup (having progressed past Brackley Town back in October). 
A bit of a busman's holiday for Bure Park, since the Launton ground is where the lads train during the winter months.

The game kicked off in good weather conditions, and Bure Park immediately started pressing Launton, who got all their men behind the ball. In the 10th minute the Blues made the breakthrough. Tommy Mansley took a corner which landed perfectly on Calum Walsh's head in the middle of the sticks, just a few yards off the line. Calum directed his header back into the goal.

A moment later and Aiden Holliday almost doubled the lead with a shot which was saved well by the Launton keeper, who touched the ball round the post. It should be mentioned that the Launton keeper in question was none other than former Blues player, Harry.

However, from the resultant corner the ball did end up in the back of the net. As the ball came in Joe Mimpress put Harry under pressure and the ball spilled into the net.

Credit to Launton who were under relentless pressure now from Bure Park, but kept battling away. On the 13th minute the ball looked to be flying into the net again from a shot from Zac Willis, but again Harry palmed it around the post.

On the 24th minute Zac found himself one on one with the keeper, and finished into the bottom left.

Just before the stroke of half time Owen James made a run down the right wing and crossed in. The keeper called for it but a mix up in defence meant that the ball spilled to Zac who had a simple finish.

The second half started as the first half ended, with Launton battling hard with numbers back in defence, but then having few outlets to take the game to Bure Park. Lochlan started a move with a great cross to the left of the penalty area. Joe came in quickly on the far post and took the ball away from the keeper for an easy finish for Aiden.

Owen took a good free kick, and again drew a great save in the top left of the goal from Harry, who was facing a constant stream of chances.

Another cross, this time from Zac, and Aiden battled hard to win the ball, which came free for him and he had a straightforward finish after his efforts.

Another one on one for Harry to deal with, and Luke Munday who battled hard all day, finished well bottom left.

Owen next burst free on the left wing, and ran in on goal to slot under the keeper.

Calum then picked ball up in defence, who took on two players and then played a lovely ball into Aiden who carried it on and scored to the left past the keeper.

A long ball forward saw the keeper come out to try and claim it, but Owen just made it to the ball before Harry, who then crossed firm and low towards the goal, where Calum was waiting to make sure, and finish the scoring.

A difficult afternoon for Launton, who faced higher-division opponents but kept battling throughout.

Man of the match for the Blues was Calum Walsh, who was strong in the middle of the park, and set up many of Bure Park's chances with great passing.

There are some really great photos of the lads over at http://fotographica.shootproof.com/BurePark