U16's‎ > ‎U16 Posts‎ > ‎

Match Report - Grendon Rangers vs U12s, Sunday 9th Mar 2014

posted 9 Mar 2014, 13:47 by Dave Tyrrell   [ updated 9 Mar 2014, 14:13 by Graham Keeble ]
At last some very welcome sunshine as Bure Park Juniors U12s visited Grendon Rangers.

Grendon started brightly and Bure Park found themselves on the back foot in the opening few minutes, seemingly unable to clear their lines. However, with their first major attack Bure Park opened the scoring. It was only the 4th minute when Aiden Holliday collected the ball in his own half and quickly accelerated past two defenders into opposition territory. Ben Heath, playing on the right of midfield, timed his run perfectly and Aiden played the ball into space in front of him. Ben ran onto it, and holding off Grendon defenders he came in on the right side of the box and shot low across the goalie into the bottom-left corner.

You wondered if the flood-gates might open, but they did not. The Grendon keeper was made to work hard though, saving numerous shots on target. A very uneven pitch did not help the Bure Park attackers, with the ball bobbling up unpredictably. The Bure Park defence was also being asked questions, and Sam Gould in goal came quickly off his line numerous times to collect long balls. On the left hand side of the pitch, the two Tommy's (Mansley and Dalton) had some very nice exchanges, with Mansley sending Dalton forward on numerous occasions. In the middle of the pitch, Oscar Honour was strong and won everything that came his way.

After the half-time restart, Bure Park really got motoring. A Zac Willis free kick was sent goalwards at pace but was parried by the Grendon keeper. The ball dropped to the floor and quickest to react was Ben Heath who was never going to miss from that distance and finished comfortably. Two-nil.

Ethan scores

Ethan Cavill came on as a substitute, and was making strong runs on the left wing. Ethan made a powerful run in from the left, beating two Grendon defenders but then ran into trouble in the penalty area. He managed to lay the ball off to Zac, who then battled harder than the defenders who surrounded him and slotted home from close range. That was not the end of Ethan's runs however, another saw him retain close control of the ball and coming in from the left he shot low inside the near post (see picture right). Four-nil.

Dan Carr, subbed on to the right wing, came on and made some great runs, turning his defender left and right. A lovely Bure Park moved finished with Dan slotting calmly home, however an offside decision saw the goal disallowed.

Joe Mimpress had been subbed on up front, made some great runs, and was always in the penalty area when you wanted him to be. This eventually paid dividends when Zac crossed in from the left, and Joe's run meant he was perfectly placed to meet the ball and calmly pass into the waiting net. Five-nil.

William scores with his head

Robbie Heath subbed on in the middle of the park worked tirelessly to protect his defence and get forward when he could.

The Bure Park defenders put in a very high work rate week after week, and today was no exception. Lochlan Colquhoun, as per usual, put in tackle after tackle and set up numerous attacks after winning possession. Tommy Mansley had taken several good corners, but he really found his range with a few minutes to go. He placed the ball perfectly beyond the reach of the keeper and Willam Tyrrell leaped above everyone else to head in at the far post (pictured left).

Final score: six-nil.

The man-of-the-match was William Tyrrell, awarded for making strong tackles, hard work, good clearances and his headed goal.

In the photo below, Oscar makes another strong headed clearance:

Oscar heads clear

Joe Mimpress shoots from close range:

Joe shoots

One of many attacking throw-ins from Lochlan:

Lochlan throw-in