U16's‎ > ‎U16 Posts‎ > ‎

Match Report - Tower Hill vs U12s, Sunday 27th April 2014

posted 27 Apr 2014, 16:15 by Dave Tyrrell   [ updated 27 Apr 2014, 16:42 by Graham Keeble ]
Another of the re-scheduled matches from this year's wet winter, the game looked like it might have to be re-re-scheduled following the last couple of day's rain, and indeed the heavens were seriously open as the Blues arrived in Witney. Kick-off was therefore brought forward by 15 minutes due to fears about the deteriorating pitch.

Thankfully, as the match started the sun came out, although as the game progressed some parts of the pitch became quite bog-like.

Only nine players were available for this match, so no substitutions were possible. With the title sealed on Wednesday, the coaches decided to change things around in terms of starting positions. Zac and Ben moved into defence, William moved on to the right wing and Lochlan played behind the main striker.

From the start, Bure Park played some really lovely football, with great passing and movement. In the second minute, Oscar Honour forced a save from the Tower Hill keeper, and from the resultant corner the home side conceded an unfortunate own goal.

The revised positions seemed to be working well. William was able to get running with the ball, provide crosses in from the right, and allow the overlap for Ben who was solid at right-back but still able to make damaging runs forward. Zac was breaking opposition play up nicely in the centre of defence, and still getting far enough forward to launch his shots from open play or free kicks. Lochlan was full of energy up front, holding the ball up and bringing others into play.

Tommy Mansley opened the scoring from Bure Park players, from another of his long-range efforts, getting a slight deflection from a defender on the way in.

Before the match it had been discussed that Lochlan was the only player present who had not scored this season, with the aim of rectifying that situation. When William played Lochlan in from a long range pass, he did very well to hold off the defenders snapping at his heels and slide it past the keeper. This was hugely celebrated by the team.

Aiden then got his first goal of the day, a header into the bottom right of the goal from a Tommy Mansley corner after a saved shot from Zac.

A free-kick from Tommy was then cleared only as far as Zac, whose lovely half-volleyed shot from outside the penalty area looped in to the top right hand corner giving the keeper no chance.

William Tyrrell had a shot saved by the keeper, following a lovely move from back to front by the Blues. From the resultant throw-in, William was quickest to react to a bouncing ball in the area and made sure this time with a shot to the bottom left corner. Six nil.

At the other end, Sam Gauld was called in to action, and made a good save to his left.

It was now Ben Heath's turn to test the goalie, who managed to parry the ball on to the roof of the net.

Joe Mimpress was next on to the score sheet. Aiden Holliday had made a run in to the box but was tackled. Joe picked up the loose ball and curled it in to the top right hand corner of the net.

Aiden finished the scoring in the first half, after being quickest to react from a loose ball in the area following another Tommy Mansley corner. Eight nil.

Aiden then opened the scoring in the second half. Zac played a great ball in to Aiden who was a few yards outside the area. Aiden controlled the ball well, dribbled past two defenders and shot with his left foot past the keeper.

Zac then got his second, a long-range free kick which deflected off the keeper and in.

Zac then turned provider, turning an attacker just outside his own penalty area, Zac launched a wonderful pass up to Aiden who timed his run to perfection, escaped his pursuing defender, and slotted home in to the bottom right.

Oscar, who had been so strong and commanding in midfield all game, then burst forward and thundered a shot against the cross-bar. Thankfully these posts were made of solid metal and so no breakage occurred.

Ben Heath's unbelievably quick feet were on display shortly afterwards. Picking up a pass from Lochlan, Ben danced around four defenders before his shot was directed too close to the keeper, and then Aiden scored another header from another Bure Park corner, courtesy of Tommy Mansley. Twelve nil.

Tower Hill had not given up, and managed to force a defensive error, from which they scored a consolation goal, which was suitably celebrated by the home fans.

They almost made it two a few moments later, A Tower Hill throw in was not cleared and the resultant shot looked in, but for an amazing dive to his right from Sam Gauld to keep it out.

Aiden then sealed his double hat-trick to end the scoring. Another great run down the right by Ben Heath was played in to Aiden who shot home in to the bottom right of the net. Final score: 13-1.

A wonderful footballing display from Bure Park, with the whole team playing very well.

Man of the match was Aiden Holliday, a superb double hat-trick, with goals from both feet as well as his head. Holliday also did very well in terms of bringing into play the other players around him.

The video below is well worth watching; all the goals (apart from the own-goal in the first minute) and other selected highlights!

Match Highlights