U16's‎ > ‎U16 Posts‎ > ‎

U13s vs Banbury Spencer, Kick Off Cup, 7th December 2014

posted 8 Dec 2014, 04:03 by Dave Tyrrell   [ updated 8 Dec 2014, 04:22 by Graham Keeble ]
A day of frustration for the Blues saw their cup run come to an end as they exited the Kick Off Cup at the Quarter Final stage against fellow League 'A' rivals Banbury Spencer.

The last time these two sides met was in the league proper, and Banbury eventually ran out 5-4 winners, despite a spirited come-back from Bure Park which might have seen them win had there been more time left in the game, and the same was probably true of today's result.

The players stood mingled together for a pre-match photograph as part of the Football Remembers week. Several thousand events were held across the UK to mark one of the most iconic moments of World War I, the 1914 Christmas Truce football match, where an unofficial ceasefire saw British and German soldiers across the Western Front to play football together in December 1914.

The game kicked off in the coldest conditions we have seen so far this season, accompanied by a blustery wind.

Banbury looked the liveliest in the early exchanges, and in the 4th minute the warning bells were sounded when they found themselves through on goal but shot wide.

A moment later, however and they were in front. From a corner the ball fell loose in the penalty area and Banbury got to it quickest.

On the 9th minute their lead was almost doubled when a Banbury shot was saved excellently by Sam Gauld, who parried the ball on to the near post.

The first real Bure Park chance came on the 15th minute, when OJ and Tom D had chances to score, but the ball would not go in.

They say in football that you have to take your chances, because only three minutes later the score was two nil to Banbury.

On the 23rd minute Bure Park almost clawed one back from a corner but the ball was headed wide (I think from Callum).

Banbury scored one more before half-time, a long free-kick which floated in to the top right-hand corner. Three nil.

This was one of those halves of football where nothing had seemed to go right for the Blues. Their passing game simply had not got going, balls were being swiped at and decision making was not at the level we are used to. Possession was hard to come by, and lost too easily. You really felt that what was needed was a goal to spark the lads in to life, and to put some doubt in Banbury's mind.

The second half started in bright sunshine, but with the sun low in the sky so that the spectators were all shielding their eyes.

Unfortunately, Banbury made another good start and increased their lead to four goals within the first minute of the half.

Credit to Bure Park who kept going, and more than ever you felt they needed a goal which could change everything.

On the 13th minute that very nearly came, with Zac having a couple of chances but our luck seemed to be very much out today. Nonetheless, we were at least starting to create chances again.

Sadly, quarter of an hour into the half and the score went up to five nil.

The boys didn't give up however, and Aiden had a shot that came close on the 20th minute.

The game changed dramatically however with about ten minutes to go when Callum scored a wonderful goal from a free kick. All of a sudden the mood of the game changed.

Just a couple of moments later, and Luke scored a great goal, placing the ball into the right hand of the net. 5-2.

A couple of moments later and Bure Park were awarded a penalty, with Zac dispatching it nicely.

Zac Penalty

The game was now completely transformed, with Bure Park piling pressure on to Banbury. The case for goal-line technology was once again made when Bure Park claimed they had the ball over the line, however the match officials were uncertain and so the goal was not given.

Sadly the Blues ran out of time and the match finished 5-3 to Banbury.