U16's‎ > ‎U16 Posts‎ > ‎

U13s vs Banbury United Youth

posted 23 Feb 2015, 01:59 by Dave Tyrrell   [ updated 23 Feb 2015, 01:59 by Graham Keeble ]
Dreadful weather conditions saw Bure Park beat Banbury United Youth in the first meeting between these two sides this season.

It rained non-stop for the entire match, a persistent cold drizzle which made the pitch muddy and heavy. Such conditions made it tricky to play good football and both sides had to simply roll up their sleeves and get very dirty.

The final scoreline was slightly misleading, since the majority of the goals were scored in the second half, and the first goal didn't come until the quarter hour mark.

Before that point, Zac had hit the bar, Aiden had hit the post and Calum had headed just wide from a corner, and it looked as though it could be one of those days, until OJ opened the scoring.

Although most of the play was happening in Banbury's half, they looked as though they might level the scoring a few moments later but William snuffed out a Banbury cross.

It wasn't until the 30th minute that Bure Park added to their score, when Aiden shot low and right, following a great through pass from Tommy Mansley, and the keeper spilled it into his net. This clearly was one of those days when it was worth a speculative shot due to the difficulty of holding on to a greasy, muddy, wet ball.

There was still time for OJ to run through the middle of the Banbury defence and chip the keeper to make it three nil at half-time.

They say it only takes a second to score a goal, and Banbury could not have hoped for a worse start to the second half, conceding two goals in only 65 seconds of the restart.

A lovely move (considering the conditions) saw Zac pick the ball up in a defensive position, pass to William, who traveled before laying through to Aiden to put it past the keeper. From the restart Bure Park closed down Banbury, getting the ball to Luke who scored a superb goal to chip the keeper and make it five nil.

These two quick goals must have been difficult for Banbury to take, and it probably ended their chances of a come-back.

The match then became a series of attacks from Bure Park, with Zac, OJ and Luke using their pace on the wings to continually drive into the penalty area. From one of these, Ethan almost scored with a shot that looped just over the bar. A moment later however, and Ethan passed to Aiden who scored bottom right to make it six nil.

OJ then scored with a shot following a corner to make it seven, and Ethan then finally got on the score-sheet after a powerful run and cross from OJ. It was then Joe's turn to get one, followed by another two from OJ.

Great work from Luke and Zac saw a cross in from Luke to Joe who scored a headed goal to make it eleven, and a final goal came from Calum, which might have been great but this reporter was serving a cup-a-soup and missed it!

The final whistle came to everyone's relief.